Wednesday, November 17, 2004

Discuss!

Greetings and salutations, people.

I actually heard from a couple of folks regarding my rant yesterday. Nice!

I should also note that there was some concern recently, both in regards to this and in regards to a gig as a moderator at a messageboard, that I am unwilling to have open discussions with people who disagree with my viewpoints.

Completely untrue.

By gummit, I loves me some intellectual discourse. I just don't like it when me and the other guy have to resort to namecalling to make our points, because they only point we're making is that everyone involved is a moron.

I sometimes have pretty strong opinions.

I do believe that science has all but definitively proven that being gay is something that cannot, especially in men, be changed, and that denying them the right to get married is tantamount to state-sponsored discrimination. That's a step backwards in my book.

Another thing you should know. I love America. Dearly. I believe that, as bad as we think we have it sometimes, this is the greatest country in the world. I love that I have a right to trumpet my views from the mountain top.

What I don't like is when I'm told that, since my views don't fit the views of the moral majority, that there's no longer a place for me in America.

Hey, I thought Iraq was the wrong war at the wrong time. But I don't cheer whenever a troop dies. I just wish that we had been overthrowing a country that was actually tied to 9/11, like Iran or (gasp!) Saudi Arabia.

That doesn't make me any less of a patriot.

I support the right of people to have different points of view...but I don't support people placing themselves on a pedestal and acting like their viewpoints are any more valid than mine or the next guy's.

Hey, I may not understand what you see in George Bush, and I sure wasn't thrilled that he beat Kerry. But he did beat Kerry. He did win the presidency. I don't have to be happy about that, but I don't intend to "take my ball and go home". Now I move to the power of prayer (Democrats do pray!) and hope that there's an America left in four years for there to be a new election held in.

Heck, my biggest fear NOW is that in '08, Hillary Clinton will be president.

Does any sane person, Democrat or Republican, want that?

More and more, my favorite song is becoming "What Say You?" by Travis Tritt and John Mellencamp. It's a good song. It's about people becoming afraid to voice their opinions, and how they REALLY should.

But that doesn't mean they should use the right to express their opinions as an excuse to insult and belittle someone else.

That's just silly.

I think this is fairly coherent. I don't do "drafts" well, especially of things like my opinions, which is all this blog is. This is pretty much stream of consciousness.

Anna Nicole Smith isn't dead, and neither is Freedom of Speech.

Hail Sabin.

I am...

...The Famous Tommy Z

As a post-script: the word "blog" isn't in the blogger.com spellcheck.

I just find that to be hilarious.

2 Comments:

Blogger Crpls said...

Iran wasn't behind 9/11, silly. You're thinking of Pakistan and Afghanistan.

November 17, 2004 at 6:55 PM  
Blogger The Famous Tommy Z said...

Hey, I'm just going off the 9/11 Commission reports.

They claimed Iran and the Saudi Royal family, if not Saudi Arabia as a country.

BUT...if I am mistake, I apologize for mixing up my angry, fundamentalist Islamic states.

November 17, 2004 at 6:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home